HVAC solutions provide comfort and environmental control. Whether for home, office, factory, or public place (e.g. restaurant, place of worship), there is a HVAC system suitable for your needs. At Technoton, we help clients determine the best HVAC solutions to meet their specific needs while ensuring cost-savings from installation through the equipment’s life-cycle.
The evolving culture of life, work, and even leisure in Nigeria makes it important to pay closer attention to the quality of comfort we derive from our environment. With the rising case of air pollution, it has become increasingly important to pay attention to air quality everywhere. This article gives an overview of HVAC systems (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems).
- What is HVAC?
- What Is The Difference Between HVAC and AC?
- Types of Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Systems (HVAC) in Nigeria
- HVAC Air Conditioning Solutions for Residential, Commercial, & Industrial Needs
- The Impact of HVAC on Health
- Top HVAC Equipment Manufacturers
- Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Systems (HVAC) in Nigeria
- Our HVAC Services
- Successful HVAC Projects
What is HVAC?
“Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) is the technology of indoor and vehicular environmental comfort. Its goal is to provide thermal comfort and acceptable indoor air quality.”Wikipedia
In Nigeria and the rest of the world, increased greenhouse gas emissions from industries, vehicles, and fossil fuel burning is causing high weather temperatures. For instance, anyone who was in Lagos between January and March 2019 can testify to the overwhelming heat and discomfort. Media reports spoke about people practically seeking shelter from the heat in air-conditioned public places such as banking halls. Suddenly, the banks had more customers willing to transact business within their halls! In a unique case, a client in the North commissioned us to install a central heating system at their office.
What Is The Difference Between HVAC and AC?
Many people ask this question. In fact, it is not unusual to find people searching for “hvac air conditioning” online. The important thing to note is that AC is a component of the HVAC system. The two terms describe similar functions. The HVAC system is a complete environmental comfort system catering to the needs of occupants or resources in an environment at different seasons of the year. Let us break it down:
- Heating: The system provides heat indoors during cold seasons.
- Ventilation: This process replaces air in a room or space in order to replenish oxygen. Asides this, ventilation also helps control temperature, and remove contaminants such as smoke, carbon dioxide, dust, and moisture. Oxygen from the outside replenishes the amount in the room by displacing carbon dioxide. This is known as air change rate. Various factors affect this process. These include the size of the room, number of people present, access to pollutants, open windows or vents. Experts recommend an air change rate of at least four (4) cycles per hour for typical spaces. On the other hand, up to 30 cycles per hour keeps the air fresh for crowded spaces such as bars. More details here.
- Air Conditioning: This component ensures control of heat by using air conditioner to cool an environment and control its humidity (moisture). Ultimately, the aim is to make the temperature in the room comfortable for its occupants.
Types of Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Systems (HVAC) in Nigeria
There are two basic types of HVAC systems. These are Packaged Systems and Split Systems. A variation of the Split System exists as the Mini-Split System. The following is a brief description of each of these HVAC types:
- Packaged Systems: These systems have a combined outdoor condenser/evaporator unit as one package. They require installation of a duct usually made of sheet metal for conducting the cool air to various parts of a building. They are usually installed in large or public spaces such as churches, factories, event halls, and cinemas. Small packaged systems also known as window air conditioning units are installed in homes and small offices.
- Split Systems: Split systems provide similar experience as packaged systems without the duct work. The systems have separate outdoor compressor/condenser and an indoor air-handling unit or evaporator. The indoor units are connected to the outdoor units via refrigerant pipe.
- Mini-Split Systems: These are smaller split systems with separate outdoor and indoor units. This type is popular in Nigeria. They can be easily mounted on walls or ceilings and are usually deployed in many residential, commercial, and industrial settings depending on the need. The advantages of this system include cost-savings in the area of duct work (no duct work required), ease of installation, quiet, and efficient operation.
HVAC Air Conditioning Solutions for Residential, Commercial, & Industrial Needs
The following is a typical representation of the types of HVAC solutions suitable for various facilities. Please note that these are just examples and are not definitive.
Residential Needs: The typical HVAC systems for residential buildings are
- Window Air Conditioning Units (Packaged Systems)
- Ductless Mini-Split Units
Commercial Needs: Common HVAC systems at restaurants, event halls, and other public places are
- Packaged Systems
Industrial HVAC: Factories, datacenters, and manufacturing facilities typically install
- Packaged Systems
The Impact of HVAC on Health
One key issue associated with mechanical or forced air ventilation systems and air conditioning is the spread of breathing-related diseases. This is often as a result of the buildup of dirt, mold, and bacteria in the air filters, and even within some buildings, on walls and furniture. You can read an interesting case study here.
Many people equate coolness to good air quality. But have you ever felt nauseous or drowsy while in a cool room? It just might be due to the reducing concentration of oxygen in the room over time. A good HVAC or air conditioning system will resolve this issue.
Top HVAC Equipment Manufacturers
At Technoton, our certified HVAC engineers and technicians are deeply experienced at installing and servicing HVAC equipment and spares from diverse manufacturers including:
Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Systems (HVAC) in Nigeria
For over 30 years, Technoton has been a foremost mechanical and engineering services firm with a very strong record of accomplishment in HVAC solutions design, equipment supply, installation, repairs and maintenance services.
Our HVAC Services
- HVAC Supply and Installation
- Duct Work
- HVAC Maintenance and Repairs
Successful HVAC Projects
Our certified engineers and technicians continue to serve clients all across Nigeria and its environs. We have successfully commissioned HVAC projects for many clients including GTBank, Multi-trex Foods, Bank of Industry, and Eko Hotels & Suites. View some of our projects here.
Read More Articles
- Johnson Controls HVAC Equipment, Parts, & Maintenance in Nigeria
- Central Air Conditioning with Exposed Tubular Ducting: City of David, Lagos
- AC Repair & Maintenance Services in Nigeria
- Haier Thermocool Air Conditioners in Nigeria
- HVAC Duct Insulation Material from Isidem